Monday, October 27, 2008

worst day ever. well, in a long time.

Listening To : For What Its Worth - The Cardigans [on repeat]
Eating : Some potstickers.
Activity[s] : Working on my history midterm essay, talking on msn, wasting time blogging.

I hate to be blogging on such negative terms, but here we go.
The worst day Alyssa has had in several months. Since she started taking Adderall [sp, probably.], actually.

This is going to cover a LOT, too. But read it. Please. It will tell you all the things that really matter to me right now.
1 - Yesterday
2 - School today
3 - After school today
4 - The drama with my dad & Kerri
5 - The drama with the old house

SO LETS DO THIS.

So to start with some backstory.
I ran out of both of my medications yesterday. Si. Both of them.
My anti depressant and my ADD meds.
So today. Today I was a complete wreck. A bipolar, ADD ridden wreck. It sucked.

Because of my running out of Adderall, yesterday I didnt have any. So I was mega ADD.
And I couldnt do my homework.
So I wake up this morning, and was just like ".. Well fuck. I didn't do any of my homework. Any of it."
So that, of course, made me feel pretty good about myself. x__________X
In the car, I was like, super antisocial.
And I was just so happy my dad didnt harsh me about not doing my homework, because if he had, I wouldn't have been able to manage as well as I did.

So when I got to school, the first thing I did was talk to Jason [my bio teacher. bio was first period today.], and explain myself.
So he both let me off for not doing the study guide ["well, I never actually said it was due today. Its okay."] AND gave me the opportunity when I finished my test to do other homework [by telling the whole class, but he came up to me and muttered "use your time well, Alyssa." I was like "I LOVE YOU."]

So I actually got all of the weekend's required reading in Huck Finn done in Biology.
Im just lucky I read fast.

So then nutrition came around, and I was once again in a panic. [im really bipolar. really.]
So Emma gave me some of her doughnut, and we walked around the block.
Which was like, my lifesaver. One of them.
Because I left nearly in tears, and came back laughing about falafel.

So then I went into English, and was once again all depressed, for no particular reason.
Though, I was happy I managed to get through my Huck quiz.
I added in way too much extra information, because I was like, in a panic.
"And they found a coat with eight dollars sewn in the lining, so they concluded the dead man must have stolen it, otherwise the owners of the house would have taken it with the rest of their money". Beth is going to be like "... yeah."

And then there was history.
In which I panicked again because I hadn't figured out what I was going to do my essay on.
So I was like, trying not to cry. That was fun.

But from that point on, through lunch [during which Emma was so fucking nice to me it was amazing. I was like "I LOVE YOU."], and through gym, I was totally fine.
Go figure.

SO THEN.
AFTER SCHOOL.

I was talking to Jen, this innocent little 7th grader, who I am kind of friends with.
And oh. my. god.
Wishiah, on Friday, was like 'She is such a bitch to all her friends. She's not like that with us, but god.'
And of course, I was like 'I dunno, Wishiah. She doesn't seem that mean. I dont see how she could be that bitchy.'
Hah. Sadly mistaken.

We were talking, and she started to like, backsass me.
And I was like "... Dont, please."
And she kept doing it.
So finally I was like "Okay. Im sixteen. Youre twelve. Cut it out."
And shes like "No, I dont think so."
And so I was pissed off, and was like "Okay. Listen. Being a bitch isnt okay. It doesnt pay off. And Im a bitch, s--"
And she cut me off, and goes "Join the club."
And Im like "Uh, no, Ill pass. Because I want friends."
And she said some bitchy little thing.

And like. She insults me to my face.
Shes like "Eheh, you wear the same thing like, every day. Jeans, a top, and your sunglasses."
And Im just like ".. And? Im not about to come to school fucking naked, I hate shorts, and I dont wear dresses on a regular basis. What the hell is your point?"

AND THEN.

Okay so Leah, Jen and I were talking, and Jen was like "So I think its funny how there are no relationships."
And Leah was like "Yes there are!"
And Im like "Yeaaah, definitely."
So Leah and I listed a couple -- Including Debbie and Antonio.
Both.. 8th graders, I think.
And like, they liked eachother, and then Debbie really rather meanly told Antonio she didnt like him.
And Wishiah and I were talking to Antonio on Friday or whatever, and he was like, super depressed, and as been, because everyone has been mean about it.

So.
We [Emma, Me, Jen, Antonio, and Debbie] were in the computer room, and Jen randomly goes "So it looks like SOMEONE still likes eachother."
And Debbie didnt say anything, and Antonio was like "... Eheh."
And I was just sitting there like ".. Tactless fucking bitch."
Like. She didnt even know about them today, and she doesnt even know the whole story.
She has no right to be saying anything about it.
But I didnt say anything, because its not my job to police everyone.

BUT THEN.
SHE RANDOMLY DECIDES. To start just full on bitching about Josh.
Now. Even though hes in 8th grade. Josh rocks, and is totally one of my good friends.
So miss Jen is like "JOSH. IS SO ANNOYING. Hes kind of funny, sometimes, other times he just tries too hard, but god. Hes so ANNOYING. Hes such an idiot. Oh my god."
And Emma knows me, and because of what happened in the Grand Canyon, knows I cant stand it when people talk about people behind their backs.
So she looks over at me, and I have the brochure for the Savannah school of Art and Design [or something] just sitting in my lap, and I'm trying not to cry.
And she immediately closes whatever she was doing on the computer and pauses, waiting for my to say what she knows I'm about to say.
And in the same tone I use with Colin and Leia, I'm like "Talking. About people behind their backs. Especially people you call your 'friends'. Is NEVER okay. Its rude, disrespectful, and no one will ever trust you."
And Debbie and Jen sit there in silence, Antonio smiles at me, and Emma and I get up and walk out, so I can compose myself.

SO THEN.
WHEN I GET HOME.
Well. When my dad got home.
Im like "So I need to tell you about my daaaay."
And hes like "Okay!"

So I start to, and get up until about Nutrition, and then Kerri gets home.
And meanwhile, Leia had been sitting on the stairs crying, because she wanted Dad to come lay with her until she went to sleep, but he was talking to me.
But as soon as Kerri gets home, he goes upstairs to be with her.
At which point I immediately started sobbing.

And finally, like 20 minutes later, I go upstairs, and between sobs manage to pretty much yell "THIS IS NOT OKAY WITH ME. IM TRYING TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE WORST DAY I HAVE HAD IN MONTHS. IM NOT ANY LESS IMPORTANT."

At which point he came downstairs to listen to my story.

But seriously.
Though I got over it.
Tpday was full of over-reactions.
Though the talking about people thing wasnt one. Thats never okay. I dont care who the fuck it is, damnit.

AND THEN. TO TOP IT ALL OFF.
My dad and I, at like, 10, went over to the old house to steal a boiler plate.

I know some of you know about my old house, but in case you don't.
The Gregory Family's old house.
1732 Santa Barbara Street.
Built in 1904, in the style of that era in Santa Barbara. There are about four other houses downtown that are in the same style, give or take.
It is also known as the Huning Mansion, and was last year given Historical Landmark status
Anyway. Its a pretty significant piece of architecture in Santa Barbara.
To give you a desciption, Ill quote the city council discussion on it becoming said historical landmark.

Though classified as Mission Revival style on the City’s Historical Survey, the house at 1732 Santa Barbara Street exemplifies a hybrid of period styles including Mission Revival, Neoclassical, and a hint of Craftsman. While a fair number of modestly scaled Mission Revival-style houses exist in the City, few substantial two-story examples have retained the architectural integrity of this house. Designed by local architect, J. W. Bagley, and constructed by Edward F. Edwards, a prominent Santa Barbara builder, this house is a stand-out among its neighbors. Known as the Huning Mansion, it was built for retired Arizona cattleman Henry Huning and his wife in 1904. A News Press article dated January 1, 1905, touted the 7,000 square-foot mansion as having the finest interiors ever seen in Santa Barbara. The Hunings continued to live in the house until 1923, after which it sat vacant through 1932. It has had a succession of owners who used it as an inspirational boarding house for the architects of Santa Barbara, and as a hotel during World War II. In 1973, then owner Bonnie Ontiveros opened a business there, selling custom-fitted feminine undergarments, until it was shut down by the City as a zoning violation. A series of sandstone steps and retaining walls lead from the street up to the Neoclassical covered porch, which shelters an extra-wide Craftsman-inspired front door. The slender columns supporting the porch roof and symmetrically placed pergolas are Doric, while the front door and flanking windows feature pointed arched mullions. The façade is symmetrical except for slight differences in the two bay windows. The North bay is rounded, with curved glass windows and a bell-shaped roof, while the South bay is hexagonal. This house retains a high degree of architectural integrity* (with only the roofing material being replaced) and appears much as it did more than 100 years ago. The current owner** has completed extensive renovations of the interior, bringing the exceptional woodwork back to its original condition.
* everything was still perfect. seriously.
** 'current owner' at this time last year. aka, my dad.

So. With that /lovely/ description. Such a bummer we had to move.
So anyway. As I was saying.

The house was /way/ too expensive to run, because its a huge house, and an old house, and its just not very energy efficient.
So we had to sell it. Woeeee.
BUT INTO THE REAL STORY.
[cue copy/pastedness]

They completely. Destroyed it. And its historical value.
Seriously.

One of the coolest things about it was that it was completely heated by the /original/ boiler. And sufficiently, too. The thing was in perfect working order. Note. The boiler itself was /one hundred and four/ years old.
And they /literally/ hacked it apart and put it out on the back lawn as trash.
Like, its completely unsalvageable.
Because they just went at it with an axe and hauled it out of the basement.

But its like. Fucking IDIOTS. They could have /sold/ it to some technical historians who would have LOVED to have a completely functioning 100 year old boiler.

So we just went over to steal the doors to the furnace, which say where, when, and by whom the boiler was made.

I was like "I FEEL ILLEGAL."

And then we went and put them back in Appalachia, which is the rundown workshed in the backyard of this house, and Im like ".. This doesnt help the fact I feel illegal."

But like. It doesnt end there.

My dad put his heart and soul into remodelling the house 10 years ago, when we got it, to make it as historically acurate as possible.

Which included getting some /really/ expensive /handmade/ wallpaper for some of the rooms. [i hate how you can tell where this is going.]
And so when he went over there today.
They had complete torn all of the wallpaper out of the parlour.
Just ripped it off. Rrrriiippppp.

AND. Thats not even it.. They also hacked apart one of the original fireplaces, including the amazingly goregous, handcarved mantle. Handcarved. BY HAND. Gaah.

And then, less historically, they tore out ALL the landscaping in the front yard. All of it.
There is like. A half-dead lawn in the front now [because no one has watered it].
It used to have two giant, really green, really leafy trees, hedges lining the front walk, orange trees up against the upper porch, beautiful lawns, and then the whole front of the yard [down by the street] was lined with an assortment of really pretty bushes and flowers and stuff.

And Puteri, when I was telling her this, asked "Did they not know how old the house is, or whatever?"

And what makes it that much worse, is that they totally knew.
My dad, like I said, LOVED that house.
And he knew ALL the history of it. All of it.
He could give a three hour tour of the house. Explain where EVERYTHING came from, what it was like originally, what all the rooms were.
So of course, he gave prospective buyers that over the top tour. So the guy knows everything there is to know.

And the main reason he ended up selling it to the guy he sold it to was because said guy said he loved old houses, and that hed restore it.
He said he'd restore it. He went in and destroyed it.
Lied to us. Completely. Utterly and completely lied.

And the main reason Im so distressed is because I know it breaks my dads heart, to think that the house he put that much money and time and love into is just completely reverting to what it was, if not worse, before he got it.
Its not just like everything is covered up again. Its destroyed. Thats worse. So much worse.

So yeah. Thats the house saga. x______________X

SO. YOU THINK YOU HAD A BAD DAY.
WHAT. NOW. DUDE.
WHAT. NOW.

No comments: